Welcome to the Urban Action Academy PTA!
Giving time to help at your children’s school is a wonderful gift for your child(ren). Your gift also sets a great example of a generous, giving spirit for all children. Studies suggest that when parents are involved in students’ education and school activities, those students generally have higher grades and test scores, consistent homework completion, higher attendance records, all leading to successful results later in life. Overall, volunteering has a positive effect on your child, yourself and your school community. Please let us know how you would like to be involved at Urban Action Academy!
Dr. Garcia, Principal
My name is Heather Marcano; I am the parent of an eleventh grader attending Urban Action Academy. I've been your PTA President for the last three years.
The PTA Executive Board remains focused on supporting our students, families, teachers, and staff in every way. We do this with our advocacy, community building, and partnering with Principal Dr. Garcia to determine critical funding needs for Urban Action Academy. Our monthly School Leadership Team (SLT) meetings discuss these needs.
Our most important work remains to advocate for every child. I strongly encourage you to join the PTA and become more involved in shaping how education will continue to move forward and thrive at Urban Action Academy. Memberships are now available through our website. Joining the PTA membership does not mean you have to serve as a board member. By joining and supporting our PTA, you have a voice/vote in the PTA's decisions. We welcome you to attend our association meetings.
However, if you are interested in serving as a board member, we will be holding our elections in June. The nominations will be sent to you via email soon.
For more information on the dates of monthly meetings, or if you have any suggestions or questions, please email me at [email protected]
I look forward to hearing from you.
UAA PTA President
Why Join PTA?
Enjoy the Benefits!! The number one reason to join the Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help Urban Action, but there are many more advantages. Here are just a few:
- Get Connected. There is no better way to know what is happening at Urban Action Academy. The PTA offers a variety of programs designed for parents and students.
- Discover Great Resources. Tap into a Network. Parenting is not easy-it helps to share ideas, concerns, and experiences with other parents and educators in the community. PTA functions are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, build rapport, and discuss issues on your mind. By volunteering with Urban's PTA, you gain valuable experiences. It's an opportunity to put your skills and hobbies to good use for an excellent cause-your child and all children in the community.
- Watch Yourself Grow. Speak Up. PTA can be a way for you to suggest change more effectively at your child's school. Because the PTA is a forum for exchanging ideas, you are encouraged to make suggestions.
- Witness Improvement. Our PTA plays a vital role in fundraising to provide building improvements, curriculum-based programs, and social events-all critical to a school's success. By getting involved at Urban Action, you will be part of the solution, helping make positive changes.
- Be a Role Model. By becoming a PTA member, you will demonstrate to your child the importance you place on education.